If our eyes serve as windows to our souls, our nails give people sneak peeks to our hygiene and overall health. It sounds freaky, and we bet you stared at your fingernails for a minute there, but it’s true. How healthy we are or how good we are at taking care of our bodies can be seen in our nails.
Look at your fingernails once more. Pay close attention to the details: do they look strong and healthy? Is there something unusual about the shape or color? Are there dents or ridges? Do they seem dry and brittle? A lot of undesirable conditions can be prevented by taking good care of your nails. Some irregularities however, may actually be indicators that there is something seriously wrong with your body.
The key to identifying what the irregularities in the fingernails are is by knowing what they normally look like. Our fingernails are made up of several laminated layers of keratin. This protein comes from under the base of your nail, just below the cuticle. Fingernails are naturally smooth and you won’t feel any grooves or pits on the surface. Aside from having the same color, fingernails are also naturally free from any discoloration or spots.
There are instances when vertical ridges that start from the cuticle and run all the way up to the tip of the nails appear. These ridges are perfectly normal and become more evident as we get older. Injuries also cause white spots to appear on our fingernails but will eventually disappear as the nails grow out.
It’s important to note however, that not all irregularities are normal. If you notice any of the irregularities listed below, contact your dermatologist or your doctor immediately:
- Curled nails or other visible changes in nail shape
- Thickening or thinning of fingernails and toenails
- Discoloration, dark streaks below the nail and other visible changes in the color of the nails
- Painful swelling around the nails
- Separation of the nails from the skin surrounding it
- Excessive bleeding around the nails
These could be symptoms of serious medical conditions that’s why it’s important to seek professional help immediately.
How to Take Care of Your Fingernails
As with other parts of our body, our nails need proper care and nutrition. Here are some simple ways to look after your fingernails:
- Always make sure that your nails are clean and dry to prevent the growth of bacteria. Prolonged and repeated contact with water can cause split fingernails that’s why it’s best to use cotton-lined rubber gloves when doing the laundry, using harsh chemicals, or washing the dishes.
- Follow a daily or weekly nail care routine. Trim your nails once every week and use sanitized, sharp nail clippers or scissors to do that. Trim across and gently round the edges to avoid the formation of dry skin. Scoop out the dirt from under your nails while you’re at it.
- Don’t use your teeth to trim your nails. We have nail clippers and scissors for that.
- Moisturize your skin by using a gently hand lotion. Lightly rub the lotion on your fingernails and cuticles to keep them soft and smooth. This also helps lessen the formation of dry skin.
- Your nails are always exposed to dirt, sun, and other chemicals. These external factors can cause harm to your nails that’s why it’s best to give them an extra layer of protection by applying a nail hardener. Just a thin layer will already give your nails the additional strength it needs.
- Approach your doctor and ask him or her about biotin. Research shows that biotin is an effective nutritional supplement that helps strengthen brittle or weak fingernails and toenails.
- Maintain a healthy diet. There’s a saying that goes “you are what you eat” and that’s true to some extent. Add foods that are rich in protein to your daily consumption, and load up on vitamins and minerals. These small changes in the food you eat will go a long way.
Help From The Jacksonville Nail Professionals
Simple things such as nail trimming, moisturizing, and cleaning can be done once a week in the comforts of your own home. However, if you want to give your fingernails and toenails the tender loving care that they deserve (and you’re too busy to give them that), then it’s best to seek the help of the nail experts. They know everything about our fingernails and toenails and they are more than willing to lend you a hand or two in taking care of your nails.
You can find these nail experts at a hip and modern nail salon in Jacksonville, FL. Polish – The Nail Bar aims to give their clients a relaxing experience the moment they enter their salon’s glass doors. Their walls are donned with colorful artworks that help you take your mind off things and thoughts that are stressing you out. Enjoy the songs of Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, and other pop artists as their experts snip and polish your nails.
They have also taken an extra step in caring for their clients by ensuring that all of the nail instruments they use are sanitized. Dirty tools can cause infection that’s why it’s crucial that the salon insures the sterilization and cleanliness of the instruments that they use on their clients. Polish – The Nail Bar cleans their tools with soap, polishes it, dries, and seals it in a sterilization envelope to keep germs and bacteria at bay. They only open the envelope when it’s time to start your treatment.
You can also bond with your kids since Polish -The Nail Bar offers manicure and pedicure services for children. Visit Polish to know more about their products and services. You can drop by their nail salon in the Jacksonville Town Center at 4668 Town Crossing Drive Suite 125, Jacksonville FL 32246 or call at (904) 996-7750 to reserve a slot.